Sunday, March 22, 2015

Which direction to go?

I've been playing with track planning and whatnot tonight, and I'm coming to a fork in the road with this layout. I've kept aisleways huge and compression very minimal so far, and in some ways that has come back to bite me. There's two ways I can take the design from here, and they're explained below.

1. Increase level of compression dramatically for future additions, add helixes, and increase grades on the layout. Hinton yard would be awkwardly crammed into a corner over the washer/dryer. Meadow Creek would also be seriously crammed into who knows where, if I could fit it at all. Its branch would be nothing but a staging stub. Thurmond would be just a little stump of a layout segment bereft of its yard, or at most a couple stub-ended tracks tucked under another scene.

2. Maintain the current open-room feel and linear flow to the layout, but some iconic locations (Thurmond, Hinton) would be present in name only as staging areas. Beyond the current Prince and Quinnimont segment, I'd have Piney Creek branch up to Raleigh yard, the wye, staging for the branch going towards Beckley, and a continuation of this end of the layout across the VGN diamond at Pemberton, WV (complete with display loop for VGN trains) to the jointly-served Affinity mine. I'd probably have room for a decent representation of Meadow Creek and may be able to include some of the NF&G in reasonable form as a second deck or "mushroomed" area.

I started out with a LDE based on a location near Hinton, but soon switched to Prince and Quinnimont as being center stage for the layout since that area along with the Piney Creek branch could stand alone as a decent layout. I still have the CW Cabin (Hinton) LDE, it has suffered some storage wounds but would be ready to go with some minor repair and track cleaning. But on the other hand, I could gut it for its switch motors and such, and call it an experiment that is now over. There's only so much I can fit in half a basement (other half is the garage, and that's a whole 'nother ballgame... not even my layout is allowed to take over the garage!)


No comments: